Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Visiting Sultan Ahmet Mosque and other adventures

Day three or so it was time to get in-country cell phones for the group.  As a chaperon, I was on the short list for this privilege.  I have no idea why, but I left my camera in the room that morning.  Oh, well.

Our small group lined up on the Sultan Ahmet metro platform.  A train pulled up and passengers debarked.  I heard the tone announcing the doors were about to close, so I stepped into the car.  The doors swooshed together behind me.  Looking over my shoulder I realized the rest of the group had not been quite as nimble.

Different problem-solving scenarios ran through my head.  But, happily, I'd heard the name of the stop we were to take.  I recognized the name when it was announced and stepped off.  Rather than depart the platform, I stood by in case I'd need to board another train.  But in less then a minute another train pulled in and the rest of my group smiled from inside.  Whew.

Getting, registering and signing for cell phones took some time.  Eventually that was managed; thank you Turkcell.   We left with our phones and stepped across the street to the original purveyors of Turkish Delight: Haci Bekir, est. 1777.  We did not leave the shop empty handed.

The afternoon brought another opportunity to get separated.  We set off for Sultan Ahmet Mosque.  I brought up the rear of the group and eventually asked, "Who are we following?"  Our fearless leader, Suzanne, had stopped to buy water and the group hadn't noticed.  But two students, who had visited the day before, lead on toward the mosque and we were soon inside the garden wall.  We posed for pictures in the side court.  Then our group was separated again with some of us moving to the visitor entrance and others not noticing.

Eventually we all found our way to the tourist entrance.  Many visitors crowded the special area behind the men's section to gaze at the incredible designs on the domes and see the grand windows. We found Suzanne and her family inside.



Along with the delights of Istanbul, I've signed on as a responsible adult for a group of 13 college students.  Mostly this is a great arrangement, but occasionally things happen.  And happen so quickly I don't have time to be a voice of reason.  Take for example the Vespa ride.  A student spotted a shiny, new Vespa and asked the owner if she might ride it.  She thought he'd say no.  She thought wrong.  With little pause for reflection, she donned the helmet and sat astride the machine -- by herself.  She'd never driven one, a fact soon proven.  Her short ride ended with the Vespa tipped over the curb.  She was fine.  The Vespa received its first scratch.



I was SO relieved that she was in one piece and bloodless, mostly.  Also a good thing: the owner was gracious and did not flip out.

No comments:

Post a Comment