Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Onward to Asia!

Saturday was a free day for the group.  However, anyone wishing to could join the Mallery family on a jaunt to the Asian side of the Bosphorus.  I definitely wished to.  This also meant adding another form of transport to my list of options.  For the same price as a metro ride, we boarded the ferry at the Karakoy ferry and were off to the Kadikoy Pier on the next continent.

Lunch was another gastronomic delight of a meal: I had the BEST stuffed grape leaves of my life and devoured a plate of potato dumplings with thick yogurt.  Yum!  I am beginning to think this is an eating holiday.

After lunch I was reminded why I'm here: to chaperon.  But ever vigilant as I am, a student got away from the group and managed to stay lost.  The main group headed to the ferry while two students retraced our steps to the cafe where we lost her.  No luck.  We waited for an hour at the ferry, watching for her.  Finally, knowing she could find her way back and may have already taken the ferry ahead of us, we returned to Old Istanbul.  I reminded myself that special protection often accompanies the foolhardy.



A positive outlook and knowing we had done what we could kept us going.  What to do if you're lost or separated from the group was part of the next general group meeting.   The student did find her way back and her roommate found her asleep in bed after our late evening meal Saturday night.




No comments:

Post a Comment