Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sunday stroll, lunch and the Archeological Museum

Just walking through our neighborhood prompts me to pull out the camera.  Life is colorful and interesting, a visually refreshing change from the homogenous sites of the Inland Empire.

Sunday we lunched at the Montana Cafe where I first noticed the sign featuring the set Iftar menu.  A great idea for anyone fasting who would like to eat as soon as the call to prayer sounds at sunset; no waiting for an order to be filled.

The waiter at Montana was just a bit too edgy, asking Paul Mallory how long the group will stay, offering a special discount if all 18 of us eat there again, and showing special interest in a couple of the women in our group.



At lunch I faced another responsibility as chaperon; checking the cash envelopes for the students. We're on our own for breakfast and occasionally lunch or supper, so the trip was planned with this in mind. Going out and buying bread, fruit and cheese makes for interesting interactions. Along with food, the account covers water. Very nice. But accounting is not so nice in my books. I spent an unhappy year in charge of petty cash when we lived in Sudan, reminded every day of my capacity to fail. Thankfully, so much of this experience is positive, that this prickly chore doesn't eclipse the joy of the rest of the adventure.

After lunch we went to the Archeological Museum.  I confess that my experience on a dig in Jordan last year, blunted my enthusiasm for this venture.  If you missed that blog, here it is.  Satiation with all things archeological and low lighting account for the few pictures featuring museum exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment