Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Below and Above ground in Cappadocia

The underground village or city is one of Cappadocia's claims to fame. So we went to see it. I appreciate the ingenuity involved in the maze of rooms and sloping-watch-your-head-double-over-and-crouch-as-you-walk tunnels. But in the end it felt like an exercise in being a colony of mole rats. And it was a bit stressful as curious students darted down side paths away from the group. On occasion I feel like part of my role is herding cats. The real highlight of the day was visiting the home of Arife, a small woman who welcomed our group into her house in the rock. Once again I realize just how much I enjoy meeting vibrant people rather then poking round in long-deserted ruins. Before leaving, many of the group purchased hand-made slippers, necklaces or baggy pants made my Arife and her daughters. This is one shopping opportunity that I'm sad I let pass. As ever, I'm thankful for my picture mementos.

No comments:

Post a Comment