Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Anything CAN happen...

More posts related to travels in Turkey await. However, I'm well and truly home again and gradually getting less and less jet laggy which means occasionally blogging about the present. Every day since getting home, like many of the days we were still in Turkey, Ken and I look at each other and smile. What an amazing summer! What a blessed life! Look what we share. And then I just bask in the goodness. Without qualifying. Without noting all what is yet unfinished or still unsatisfying about life. This – not looking over my shoulder, not countering good with bad – is new for me.

You see, I'm a recovering scarcity junky. I'm the person who has spent a good deal of life worrying there just isn't time, love, money, or goodness enough; and that I'm just not smart, responsible, hardworking, or talented enough. Good things may come my way, but to imagine that they'd keep coming means tempting fate. Better to modulate gratitude. After all, nothing good can last.

Well, I've had enough of that. As I recover, I celebrate and bear witness to all the abundance that surrounds me. I embrace possibility and consciously ignore the voices that whisper of limits, advise caution (read fear) and smugly hope that I'm not, once again, setting myself up for disappointment.

Why make the transition? Because limiting joy and the scarcity approach are downright draining. Perhaps these practices make life safe, but I'm after so much more than safe. I want joy. I want freedom. I want creativity and adventure and connection.

How am I making the transition? Intentionally. With the help of a very skilled counselor. Reading joy-filled blogs like Ordinary Courage by Brene Brown. (Watch her Ted Talk and you'll understand the draw.)

More ways I'm making the transition: by listening to my own heart and trusting my intuition. By being a bit vulnerable right here, trusting that as I write my posts, my story may resonate with yours and be of some encouragement. And by believing the words of Shel Silverstein that appear on this blog masthead; Anything Can Happen. For you. For me.

Summer was fantastic. I can hardly wait to see what comes with autumn.




No comments:

Post a Comment